Scott R. Lucas
Scott R. Lucas
Mr. Lucas has been practicing law for more than 35 years. He began with an emphasis on the defense side of disputes, working as an associate with such large firms as Cummings & Lockwood and Whitman, Breed, Abbott & Morgan. He was one of the primary attorneys tapped by firms such as Chesebrough Pond’s to handle its employment defense work throughout the State of Connecticut. Mr. Lucas then shifted his practice to concentrate on the pursuit of justice on behalf of individuals and small business owners.
He has vast experience handling complex employment and commercial disputes against large and reputable firms and has obtained an enviable record of success. He was a co-founder and department chair for a midsize Stamford, Connecticut firm for 10 years before co-founding Lucas & Varga. The following are examples of his success:
- In a four-and-a-half-month jury trial, Mr. Lucas successfully defeated claims totaling over $100 million brought by a prominent Swedish bank against a wealthy shipping and real estate entrepreneur.
- Lucas obtained a $1.3 million jury verdict on behalf of a wrongfully terminated saleswoman, creating new law in the employment area that was affirmed by the Connecticut Supreme Court and is widely cited in current treatises on Connecticut Employment law.
- Lucas obtained a $12 million jury verdict for an individual alleging he was terminated by a Fortune 100 company after attempting to protect his rights, and the rights of fellow workers, to be free from age and race discrimination.
- Lucas was lead counsel with his partners in an arbitration on behalf of 5 top executives and secured on the executives’ behalf an award of over $17 million in disputed and unpaid severance benefits.
- Lucas has settled numerous claims for amounts approaching, and often exceeding, seven figures on behalf of clients asserting wrongful termination.
More importantly, Mr. Lucas has made a significant and positive difference in the lives of numerous clients. It is the ability to accomplish such rewarding results that drives Mr. Lucas to continue the never-ending fight. He has been consistently rated among the top five percent of attorneys practicing in Connecticut, holds an AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell rating (http://www.martindale.com/Products_and_Services/Peer_Review_Ratings.aspx) from his peers, the highest rating achievable, is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and has been named one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers Association. Mr. Lucas also serves as a member of the Stamford-Norwalk Grievance Panel.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, 1987
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1986
- State Bar of Connecticut, 1985
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY / B.S.
- Albany Law School of Union University, Albany, NY / J.D., cum laude / Law Review, managing editor
- New England Super Lawyers 2008-2020 Employment Litigation-Plaintiff
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer by National Trial Lawyers
- Highest ethical and professional rating (AV Preeminent) Martindale-Hubbell
- Million Dollar Advocate
- CT Super Lawyers 2008-2020 Employment Litigation – Plaintiff
- “The Justinian Society”, Albany Law Review, 1984-85 (managing editor)
- “Monopolization and the Protection of Innovation: The Call for an Intent Standard”, 48 Albany Law Review 982 (1984) (author)
- “Unresolved Issues in the Development of Connecticut Employment Contract Law”, 64 Connecticut Bar Journal 297 (1990) (author)
- “After-Acquired Evidence in Employment Litigation”, 2 Labor and Employment Law Quarterly 1 (Spring 1995) (author)
- “Trial Tips: Issues in Voir Dire”, 7th National Employment Lawyers Association (2011)
- “Representing Plaintiffs in Conservative Times”, NELA New England, Regional Conference (2003)
- “Preliminary Issues in Employment Litigation”, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law (2001)
- “Handling the Difficult Judge”, NELA New England, Regional Conference (1999)
- “Plaintiff’s Discovery in Employment Cases”, Fairfield County Bar Association (1995)
- Commodore; The Shore & Country Club, Norwalk, CT 2005
- Bd of Governors, The Shore & Country Club, 2006-2016
- President, The Shore & COUntry Club, 2015-16
- Firefighter, The Weston Volunteer Fire Department 2011- present
- Assistant Football Coach – Weston Youth Football, 2010-2013